Date & Time07/12/2023 8:00 pm ET
Contact Hours2 Hours
Sciatica: Could the Piriformis be the Cause?
This 2-hour course teaches the difference between sciatica caused by spinal issues versus piriformis syndrome along with 2 different approaches for hands-on training for the piriformis. The 2 approaches deal with the direct approach of how to use manual therapy, compression and trigger pointing to create change locally for the piriformis muscle. The indirect approach teaches how the piriformis can become lengthened through specific, but common, injuries to the opposite hip and leg. This class will include changes that occur to the sacrotuberous and other ligaments, along with the IT Band, that create a lateral shift in the sacrum and lengthening directly to the origin attachment of the piriformis. Both hands on skills provide enhanced solutions for you and your clients.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Explain the difference between sciatica caused by spinal issues versus piriformis syndrome and the pain associated with each pattern.
- Recognize the difference between the need for a local area of treatment and the need for injury pattern work for effective treatment of piriformis syndrome.
- Identity how to locate the origin and insertion of the Piriformis muscles and to then apply direct massage work to create a positive change in this muscle for piriformis syndrome.
- Identify how to determine if the piriformis is being indirectly impacted by an injury to the opposite hip or leg and how that injury can be creating the piriformis syndrome pain pattern.
- Explain how to perform massage work to this injury pattern associated with piriformis syndrome to change the response of the piriformis.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions throughout the webinar and to be logged on for the entire webinar.