Contact Hours2 Hours
Application of Normal and Abnormal Exercise Physiology in The Adult Patient
Are you challenged by the acuity and complexity of today’s acute care patients? This course is designed to develop the clinical decision-making of participants so that they can provide safe, effective and evidence-based therapy to adult acute cardiac patients. This course is lecture based and focuses on the normal and abnormal responses to exercise. Understanding normal exercise physiology will allow the participant to also recognize abnormal data. The course will review heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate and oximetry responses to exercise. The participant will learn to utilize MET calculations, understand heart rate formulas and blood pressure formulas and know when to terminate exercise. This course is of value to physical therapists, occupational therapists and exercise physiologists who want to have a greater understanding on how to interpret hemodynamic responses to increased workload. Emphasis will be on the acute care setting, however, the evidence can apply to all settings.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the normal responses to increased workload for heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate and oxygen saturation.
- Describe the abnormal responses to increased workload for heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate and oxygen saturation.
- Explain the calculation of cardiac output and blood pressure
- Explain the different heart rate maximum formulas and when to select the most appropriate one.
- Evaluate if a patient can reach steady state
- Explain when to terminate exercise
- Define and test for orthostatic hypotension
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.
Level of Difficulty for ATs: Essential Level