Contact Hours2.5 Hours
As a PT, OT or AT, you’ve finished your evaluation of a patient with chronic pain and know that your patient will require a different treatment approach that what you normally use for acute pain.
The question is what do you do?
This webinar is designed to give step by step instructions on strategies to better treat patients with chronic pain that can be transferred to the busy clinic schedule the next day. Pain Neuroscience Education (PNE) refers to educational sessions designed to help patients better understand the physiology of pain at the nervous system level. This course will discuss both specific PNE metaphors to use with patients as well as the structure of a follow-up treatment session (the role of manual therapy, exercise, modalities, etc.) Patient handouts will be provided that can easily be used the next day in the clinic on both functional goal setting and sleep hygiene. Handouts will be designed to encourage patients to take an active role in their own treatment plan.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Compare & contrast biomedical vs biopsychosocial models
- Define Pain Neuroscience Education & be able to use simple metaphors to help decrease fear of pain for patients during follow-up PT, OT, or AT treatment sessions
- List handouts to improve patient self-efficacy through sleep hygiene and goal setting
- Define the concept of a SMART rehabilitation goal and strategies needed to help patients refine their general goals into specific goals
- Summarize the important role that manual therapy plays in therapeutic treatments with a pain neuroscience approach and the important modifications needed to patient education during manual therapy
- Describe how to bill for and document pain neuroscience education provided during a follow-up treatment session
- Summarize the research on the effectiveness of pain neuroscience education.
- Describe a suggested model for a follow-up treatment using a pain neuroscience approach including order and length of treatments (manual therapy, exercise, home exercise program instruction, pain neuroscience education, etc.)
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar.
Level of Difficulty for ATs: Advanced Level