Contact Hours2 Hours
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the third leading cause of death in the United States. There are approximately 30 million people in the United States who have been diagnosed with COPD. Physical activity and therapy can provide the great improvement in symptoms, exercise capacity, and health-related quality of life. This course is for physical and occupational therapy clinicians in acute, subacute or home health care who are seeking to update their understanding of COPD rehabilitation. As rehabilitation professionals, we need to understand the pathophysiology as well as the evidence-based treatment strategies to promote optimal living for individuals with COPD. This webinar is part 2 in a 2-part series. This part 2 webinar focuses on PT and OT objective assessment tools, program prescription, and evidence-based treatment for COPD patients. Prescribing a treatment program that is dosed appropriately is essential for prevention of exacerbations, improved quality of life and value-based care. Rehabilitation therapists have unique skills to provide this valuable care for the COPD population.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Explain how to conduct specific objective measures commonly used with COPD patients to determine baseline function
- Summarize guidelines for evidence-based exercises for patients with COPD including HIIT exercise
- Prescribe an appropriate treatment program for the COPD patient to include appropriate stimulus, duration, frequency and functional application.
- Apply knowledge obtained in course to determine appropriate assessments and treatment program to case studies
- Explain the correlation between hospital admissions and level of physical activity as well as the impact on value-based purchasing.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to various polling questions asked throughout the webinar.