Contact Hours3 Hours
One of the most daunting tasks facing rehab professionals is the in-depth understanding of the surgical approaches to the hip and their bearing on precautions and advancement of activity. Mechanism of injury, functional and clinical testing for hip impairments will precede presentation and discussion of surgical interventions for: labral repair, fracture repair, and total joint replacement procedures. The relationship of the approach used to the activity precautions will be identified and procedural technique advances will be examined. The role of physical therapy interventions in management of hip procedures will address acute (precautions and positioning), sub-acute and progression timelines in the post-subacute phases.
This course will use Power point slides, video demonstrations of clinical testing with discussion of the anatomical structures that dictate post surgical precautions and timelines for hip. Surgical video review of labral repair, fracture repair, and total joint replacement procedures will be presented with generalized protection and advancement timelines discussed.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the role of pelvic force couples in pelvic stabilization required for normal gait.
- Explain the role of the gluteal muscles in closed chain function during normal movement.
- Summarize clinical procedures (tests) for targeting compromised structures affecting the hip.
- Explain surgical procedures at the hip for: labral repair, fracture repair, total joint replacement procedures, approaches (Posterior, Lateral, Anterior), and SuperPATH
- Describe conservative physical therapy interventions, progression, and rationale in management of common hip conditions.
- Summarize post–operative physical therapy intervention of the above operative procedures including, positioning, precautions and progressions from acute to full activity return.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar & to be logged on during the entire webinar.