Contact Hours3 Hours
Identifying Shoulder Pathology with Surgical Repairs and Replacement of the Shoulder
One of the most daunting tasks facing rehab professionals is the in-depth understanding of the shoulder complex and how the intricate anatomy and biomechanics play into the post-surgical and non-surgical rehab process. With the countries aging population, there continues to be a significant rise in patients requiring care for a wide range of shoulder pathologies ranging from tendonitis to total shoulder replacements. Understanding anatomy, biomechanics and mechanisms of injury is critical to the success of the clinician interpreting special test data correctly and ultimately performing appropriate treatment to the post-op patient.
This course will use Power point slides, video demonstrations of clinical testing with discussion of the anatomical structures they isolate and their biomechanical role in shoulder function. Surgical video review of shoulder repairs including: sub acromial decompression, rotator cuff repair, labral repair, Bankart repair, total shoulder, and reverse total shoulder will be presented with generalized protection and advancement timelines discussed.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the various mechanisms of shoulder injury both insidious and acute with the structures compromised.
- Demonstrate clinical procedures (tests) for targeting compromised shoulder structures.
- Examine the role of scapular force couples in scapulo-humeral rhythm required for normal shoulder movement.
- Describe the role of the rotator cuff muscles in reducing shear forces and stabilizing the head of the humerus in the glenoid fossa during normal movement.
- Examine the relationship of surgical procedures for the rotator cuff, labral tears, anterior gleno-humeral instability, total shoulder and reverse total shoulder arthroplasty to the rehabilitative process
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar & to be logged on during the entire webinar.