Contact Hours2 Hours
This course will explore the research and reasoning behind the use of nature and the outdoor environment when providing therapy to children diagnosed with autism. This course will identify why the use of the outdoors and nature is considered best practice and should be incorporated into goals and treatment plans for autistic children. This course will explain specific therapeutic strategies, treatment methods and identify treatment objectives that can be formed to address deficits in a natural environment.
This course will address how children should be introduced to nature and how skill sets can be developed. Specific functional goals for working on deficits will be addressed. Activities for any season and group activities will be presented.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Explain why learning in a natural environment is considered best practice and why the use of nature is an effective tool, based on research, when working with children diagnosed with autism.
- Summarize the research on how the use of nature and the use of an outdoor environment enhances skills and promotes development when providing therapy to children with autism.
- Identify deficits that can be addressed in nature when working with kids with autism.
- Recognize specific treatment strategies that can address deficits in an outside environment to include activities that can be used in any season, group activities and specific pieces of equipment that are essential when providing therapy outdoors.
- Explain how an outdoor environment can help achieve therapeutic treatment objectives.
- Explain how to introduce children to the outdoor environment and develop skill sets.
- Identify specific functional goals that can be addressed outdoors or in nature.
- Discuss the hazards in conducting therapy in nature and how to bring nature indoors.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.