Contact Hours2 Hours
Vertebral compression fractures are generally mismanaged because of decreased awareness of evidence-based management guidelines and a protocol for the care of these fractures. Compression fractures are occurring with increased frequency in patients with osteoporosis and osteopenia. The majority of fractures are un-detected with only about 30% coming to clinical attention. Are you giving your patients exercises and/or instructions that are contraindicated? Compression fractures have musculoskeletal, psychological, cardio-pulmonary and quality-of-life sequelae including increased risk of death. You will learn a safe and effective protocol and plan of care for the acute patient and a continuum of care which extends through to the chronic phase. Current relevant literature will be reviewed. Participants will actively experience specific movement patterns that will reinforce the importance of vertebral unloading, and will protect the spine from further injury. Learn the complete protocol based on The Meeks Method exercise and movement concepts that can be utilized immediately to improve functional outcomes for all levels of care.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Articulate the epidemiology and pathology of vertebral compression fractures and recognize their occurrence in all treatment settings
- Describe the impact of vertebral compression fractures on other systems of the body (e.g., cardio-pulmonary) and on quality of life issues, including common co-morbidities
- Explain the evidence-based research supporting the protocol for Management of Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Describe the elements of the protocol that can be instituted beginning on the day of fracture
- Actively participate in an alignment routine to promote safe functional movement
- Be familiar with the initial progression of exercises and treatment procedures
- Describe the multi-disciplinary approach to the care of the patient and the importance of teamwork
- Understand Continuity of Care to the next level Swing, SNF, Home Care, Out-patient.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.