Contact Hours2 Hours
This is a lecture based course that will discuss the incidence of cervicogenic headaches and the need for effective management of these patients. Those with cervicogenic headache report a lower quality of life and a greater loss of function as compared to those with other types of headaches. Physical therapists are well poised to provide effective treatment and management of these patients.
The course will discuss the typical presentation of these patients and the differential diagnosis of patients with cervicogenic headaches from patients with migraines and other non-mechanical causes of headaches.
We will review an appropriate subjective and objective examination for patients presenting to the clinic with a headache due to suspected cervicogenic causes. This course will also provide a review of relevant literature on effective physical therapy management of cervicogenic headaches and will provide suggestions of appropriate manual therapy techniques as well as exercise progressions and concepts surrounding patient education that is important in the management of this patient population.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the need for effective treatment and management of patients with cervicogenic headaches.
- Describe the typical presentation pattern of patients with cervicogenic headaches.
- Identify clinical screening tools used to differentially diagnose patients with cervigogenic headaches.
- Describe an effective objective examination for a patient with a cervicogenic headache.
- Describe an effective treatment plan for a patient with a cervicogenic headache.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.