Contact Hours2 Hours
Prostate cancer impacts 1 in 8 men and is commonly treated with prostatectomy; surgical removal of the prostate gland. Following the prostatectomy men suffer from urinary incontinence and sexual dysfunction which significantly impacts quality of life. Fortunately, targeted pelvic health focused interventions can help. This webinar is designed to teach clinicians how to work with population without performing the internal pelvic floor muscle examination.
This 2-hour webinar is for clinicians in any area of practice. External pelvic floor muscle examination will be introduced as well as targeted interventions that will address the primary impairments these men face. This webinar is designed to empower clinicians to address post prostatectomy impairments in their patients which will enhance the overall quality of the care offered.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Summarize the background of prostate cancer including current national prevalence rates and risk factors.
- Recognize the medical and surgical interventions available to patients diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- Describe the pathophysiology associated with post prostatectomy urinary incontinence and sexual dysfunction.
- Explain how to perform an external examination of the male pelvic floor muscles.
- Identify proper treatment interventions including manual techniques, therapeutic exercise progression and patient education to improve QOL post prostatectomy.
- Describe how to guide patients through the interventions currently recommended to improve sexual health post prostatectomy.
- Identify red flags associated with this population.
- Identify ICD-10 codes and assessment scales that are utilized with this population.
- Recognize associated inter-disciplinary referrals with this population.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to various polling questions asked throughout the webinar.