Contact Hours2 Hours
Brachial plexus anatomy is complex and injury to this area can result in significant loss of upper extremity function. Impaired upper extremity function is devastating to the person, often leading to inability to work, engage in leisure activity, fulfill family roles, and complete basic self-care. With or without surgery, healing following this devastating injury can take years. This course will review the relevant anatomy and common pathologies that result in adult brachial plexus injury. Surgical options will be discussed to provide context to potential rehabilitation intervention. Rehabilitation professionals are an important part of the medical team treating brachial plexus injured patients. Opportunities for OTs and PTs exist pre- and post-operatively for this unique population. Rehab interventions pre- and post-operatively will be discussed based on the most current evidence. Following completion of this course, participants will be able to apply knowledge to assessment and intervention planning for patients.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the anatomy of the brachial plexus.
- Classify diseases and injury that may result in trauma to the brachial plexus.
- Identify common patterns of upper quarter motor and sensory loss with suspected or known brachial plexus injury.
- Identify the types of surgical interventions commonly used to improve function following brachial plexus injury.
- Explain how to complete a holistic evaluation of clients at different stages including pre- and post- operative.
- Utilize evidence to define OT or PT’s role for clients pre- and post- operative.
- Identify evidence-based rehab interventions for brachial plexus injured clients throughout the continuum of care.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar.