Contact Hours2 Hours
Bariatric patients are on the rise in the hospital setting. As healthcare providers, there are many challenges that come with treating patients of size. Fear of falls, fear of injury to patient and provider, as well as increased length of stay due to prolonged bed rest and medical complications cause many healthcare providers to shy away from mobilizing the bariatric patient even when they walked in the day before. It is the hope with this webinar that the provider will feel educated and empowered to confidently take on mobilizing the patient of size to help them return to their prior level of function without injury to anyone and help to improve their quality of life in the process.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss various types of falls
- Review Obesity Statistics
- Describe Different Body Types and Safe Patient Handling with Each Type
- Explain the importance of a Complete History and Potential Home Modifications
- Discuss Potential Discharge Planning Barriers and How to Overcome
- Describe Mobility Problems and Challenges
- Describe Example Therapy Goals for PT and OT
- Explain Dionne’s Egress Test and other Special Tests to be used in Hospital
- Discuss Safe Transfer Techniques and Importance of Proper Equipment Selection
- Discuss the Importance of the Use of a Mechanical Lift to Decrease Work-Related Injuries
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar & to be logged on during the entire webinar.