Contact Hours2 Hours
Children and teens diagnosed with ADHD have challenges in their executive functioning. These may show up as problems following directions or remembering a sequence of activities. Children may have difficulty learning from past mistakes, staying focused for duration of a task, or maintaining emotional control in stressful situation. They may struggle with organization of personal items or to-do lists, with being flexible with unexpected changes, and with managing their time efficiently. These difficulties, in turn, manifest into problems at home, school, work, and with social skills.
Executive functioning skills are the missing link between intentions and action. In this presentation we will identify the executive functioning skills and discuss how they are impacted by ADHD and related neurodiverse diagnoses. We will identify how to evaluate executive functioning and discuss intervention strategies and ways that we can increase support to improve development of the executive functions throughout childhood and adolescence and into early adulthood. The participant will learn three ways to empower individuals of all ages to strengthen executive functioning skills.
This course is presented in lecture form with questionnaires and handouts developed by the instructor to assist the participant in working with children and families.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Define Executive Functioning and identify the executive skills
- List ways in which executive skills are impacted by ADHD and related diagnoses
- Identify how to evaluate executive functioning skills
- Discuss each skill in detail and identify intervention strategies to enhance development of executive skills
- Differentiate common issues related to executive functioning skills across childhood and adolescence
- List 3 ways to structure treatment in order to empower individuals to strengthen their executive functioning skills
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar.