Contact Hours2 Hours
This course is a course designed for the therapist working with patients in the neurosurgical ICU. There are lot more issues in addition to a stroke that a therapist can encounter in the neuro ICU. Being able to skim a chart and understand what has happened to the patient and how to approach their evaluation and treatment in a fast-paced setting is critical in healthcare. From post-op spinal surgery and brain tumors to other brain complications, it can be overwhelming to know where to start especially in the ICU where there is more chance of instability in addition to more lines and tubes. This course is designed to be an overview to many of these diagnoses and how we can give these patients the best evidence-based care.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the different types of strokes that can be encountered in the neuro ICU
- Discuss the various neurointerventional procedures that patients can undergo as treatment
- Explain vasospasm signs, symptoms and risk factors
- Discuss the various devices seen in the neuro ICU setting
- Describe the difference between a patient on the ventilator in the neuro ICU compared to a different ICU
- Explain the different types of surgical patients that can be treated
- Discuss various medications prescribed for patients that can be encountered in the ICU
- Explain precautions and contraindications to therapy
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar & to be logged on during the entire webinar.