Contact Hours3.5 Hours
The Lowdown on Lumbago with a Touch of Pain Science
This course will review traditional and non-traditional aspects related to lumbar spine conditions and lumbago presentation and treatment for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants. Lumbago is a treatment topic that is frequently very challenging for clinicians to address and resolve due to the multifactorial aspects of lumbago. Lumbago can be related to postural issues, decreased hip strength, decreased hip mobility, poor core and trunk extensor strength and a variety of other issues. This course will review these topics in relation to lumbago prevalence and evidenced based approach to treatment and application to improve clinical outcomes.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Recognize and identify five frequent causes of lumbago as presented in the course material.
- Develop one treatment choice based on the following criteria to resolve lumbago based on each of the following learning objectives topics: Lumbago and Hip Mobility, Lumbago and Hip Strength and, Lumbago and Myofascial Pain Syndrome, Lumbago and Core/ Trunk Extensor strength.
- Explain the structure and function of the hip joint. SIJ in relation to lumbar spine anatomy and lumbago presentation.
- Recommend treatment in the acute and subacute phase of lumbago based on best clinical practices as presented in the course.
- Identify postural contributions to lumbago based on review of anatomy and case study presentation.
- Analyze contributing factors in patient case studies where lumbago is presented with one or more contributing factors.
- Identify 3 components of pain science relative to chronic lumbago presentation and patient outcomes.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.