Contact Hours3 Hours
TMD-The Major Dilemma: Hands-on Strategies to Manage Temporal Mandibular Joint Disorders with Related Myofascial Pain and Headache
Up to 12 million Americans suffer from Temporal Mandibular Joint Disorders (TMD) with many failing to achieve relief with traditional treatments. TMD presents a challenging dilemma, often compounded by related headache and myofascial pain that adversely impacts lifestyle due to pain, spasm, and difficulty with chewing, speaking, yawning, and even kissing. Learn the fundamentals of TMD assessment to inform clinical decision making for positive outcomes. Discover an integrative approach to TMD management, using hands-on therapies. Practical interventions covered include manual therapy, acupressure, myofascial release, craniosacral therapy, ischemic compression, neuromuscular re-education, posture, therapeutic exercise, and biopsychosocial medicine. Explore the multidimensional aspects of TMD and incorporate fast and easy methods to ease myofascial tension and pain that clients can use as part of a home program. Apply what you learn immediately in the clinic and be able to explain the evidence basis for these integrative interventions.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss anatomy and function of the TMJ
- List signs and symptoms of temporal mandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
- Assess a client with TMD using self-reported outcome measures, palpation, mobility testing and pain provocation testing
- Demonstrate manual therapy interventions to manage myofascial pain and mobility impairments of the TMD
- Instruct clients in home management of TMD including posture, exercise, biopsychosocial and self-applied manual therapy interventions.
- Discuss the evidence supporting use of an integrative approach to improve function mobility, and quality of life in people with TMD.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
as Massage Therapy
as Speech Therapy
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to poll questions asked throughout the webinar.